Introducing the easiest and most delicious veggie side dish EVER! This combination of seared carrots and zucchini strips is so full of flavor, your family and friends will never guess that they’re made with only 5 ingredients.
A deep sear with a cast iron skillet gives these veggies a beautiful char and rich flavor. Don’t be afraid of the dark color when you’re cooking them – it’s the secret to their amazing flavor!
Simple and Healthy Charred Veggies
Servings: 4 servings
- 12 medium carrots (ideally organic and locally grown – they’ll have more flavor)
- 4 zucchini (also ideally organic and locally grown)
- Good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Preheat 1 TBL olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat
- While the pan is preheating, wash the carrots and zucchini well. Cut the carrots in half length-wise, and slice the zucchini length-wise into strips (about 1/8″ thick)
- Once the skillet is hot, add enough carrots to create a single layer in the pan (with no overlapping). Drizzle the carrots with a bit more olive oil and season generously with sea salt and pepper
- Cook the carrots on that one side until the bottoms have a nice, dark sear, and you can pierce them easily with a fork. Remove from the pan (don’t flip them) and continue until all carrots are cooked
- For the zucchini, follow the same instructions as the carrots but cook on both sides instead of just one
Note: Cook the carrots and zucchini separately, as the carrots will take longer to cook through.