On days when I exercise or teach early in the morning, I love having a hearty, make-ahead breakfast waiting in the fridge. Even better? When I can make a large batch at the beginning of the week so breakfast is ready every morning, zero effort required!
Farro – one of my favorite grains – gets a super high-five for its impressive fiber and protein content. Combine that with its nutty flavor and nice chew, and this breakfast porridge becomes a slam-dunk in both taste and nutrition.
Chocolate Farro Breakfast Porridge
Servings: About 6 servings
- 1 package organic farro (14 oz)
- 1 can light coconut milk (14 oz)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp maca powder (optional)
- Chopped nuts
- Cacao nibs
- Coconut whipped cream (if you want to make this more like a dessert!)
- Cook the farro per the instructions on the package, then let cool slightly. (Err on the side of overcooking the farro rather than making it al dente – it will blend better this way)
- Once the farro is cool enough to handle, add about 2/3 of it to a blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until completely smooth. (You may need to do this in a few batches depending on the size of your blender)
- Feel free to add more coconut or almond milk if you prefer a thinner porridge, more maple syrup for extra sweetness, or more cocoa powder or spices to increase the intensity of the flavor
- Transfer the blended mixture to a large container and stir in the remaining farro
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. (It keeps well for up to a week)
- Enjoy your porridge chilled, lukewarm or hot, with tasty toppings like nuts and berries!