I’ve been converted! I’ve always been skeptical of combining cherries with chocolate. Black forest cake? It just felt wrong.
In my attempt to sneak more greens into my diet without necessarily tasting them, I decided to experiment with some smoothies. Is it truly possible to hide kale in a smoothie and not detect those earthy undertones (in other words, without making it taste like dirt)? Unbelievably, it actually is.
Give it a try and let me know if the magic worked!
Chocolate Cherry Thin Mint Smoothie
Servings: 1 serving
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (can substitute any non-dairy milk)
- 1 cup shredded kale (I prefer baby kale, which has a milder flavor)
- 1 frozen banana
- 3/4 cup frozen sweet cherries
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-3 drops peppermint extract (use sparingly – this stuff is potent)
- 1 tsp raspberry jam (can substitute other flavors of jam)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend well. You can add more almond milk if it’s too thick to blend easily
- Pour into a glass and enjoy as-is or with a dollop of whipped cream (or coconut cream) just for fun!