Welcome to Celebrity Recipe Spin, where I share my favorite twists on recipes from well-known chefs. I would like to thank my gym locker room for introducing me to this concept for healthy zucchini blondies.
I thought the TVs in my gym’s locker room were strange and distracting…until I saw Kristin Cavallari (yep – the same Kristin from Laguna Beach and The Hills) make this recipe on ABC’s The Chew after a training session in the pool. It looked so simple…so decadent…so clever. And it is!
You can find Kristin’s original recipe here and in her cookbook True Roots. My spin uses a fraction of the sugar, peanut butter instead of almond butter, and rum extract instead of vanilla (but vanilla works well if you don’t have rum extract). They’re so rich and moist – you’ll never guess that they’re healthier than your average blondie!
Thank you Kristin for the great recipe inspiration!
Healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Blondies
Servings: In Kirstin’s house: 16. In my house: 9.
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 large zucchini (grated)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 TBL maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp rum extract (or substitute 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and lightly coat an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with cooking spray
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a large bowl, and stir until fully incorporated (with a large spoon or on medium/low speed with an electric mixer)
- Fold in the chocolate chips, then pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Gently spread into an even layer
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving
Note: I like to store leftovers in the refrigerator!