Time to celebrate my flavor inspiration of the season: Gingerbread! What makes these “8-Mile Muffins”? Because I ate one before my last big training run, and it was perfect fuel for precisely 8 miles. (Fortunately, I packed a second one for the rest of the run!)
I personally love the taste of molasses and a strong gingerbread flavor, but if you prefer a more subtle flavor you can cut the molasses in half. Enjoy!
8-Mile Banana Gingerbread Muffins
Servings: Makes 6 jumbo muffins (or 12 regular muffins…if you’re into tiny muffins)
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBL molasses (or 1 TBL if you prefer a more subtle flavor)
- 3 TBL olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (lightly spooned into your measuring cup – not packed)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pumpkin seeds for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease your muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients (bananas through vanilla) with a whisk or mixer until smooth. Sift in the remaining ingredients (except the pumpkin seeds) and stir gently until mixed.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared muffin tin and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes for jumbo muffins (or 15-20 minutes for regular-sized muffins). They’re ready when the tops are slightly firm and springy to the touch.
Note: My oven tends to run hot, so if you have a cooler oven you may need a longer baking time.